I was so energized and lifted by the bright
spirits and missional vitality of my friends.
There were seven of us from my school,
and three people from two other surrounding
schools. Together, a band of artists in Chicago's
loop, we shared and prayed for the vision.
It's empowering and contagious, the love these
people have for our (three) campuses.
It was a week of training. Most of us learned
how to lead a small group -more than a Bible study.
We all planned and prayed about the summer and
year to come. We shared how God was working in
us individually.
The level of God's multitasking always amazes me.
And I know it's healing to be around others who hold
up a flag-post in their lives that say
"Here God is! He is working here in me!"
I like to see that. I need to see that.
Campfires. Singing. Praying. Sharing. Group games.
However I think one of the most powerful
things I did all week was pray specifically
for my friends.
Praying for friends, a list of things on their
heart, is an honor and a joy. It's a responsibility
I did not take lightly.
Since reading Manning's book I've tried to
figure out how I can keep from becoming
apathetic, without having those "feelings"
of divine inspiration.
All I know is that giving up on praying or
worshiping or reading the Bible is exactly
what our enemy would want.
So to get myself up out of bed in the morning,
to bring myself to my knees in the afternoon
and evenings, I used a list of prayer requests
as my weapon.
I care so much about my friends, and I pray
to care even more. I want to intercede for
their concerns to God.
So praying for my friends was what most
kept me accountable and on track and in
communication with God last week.
...
Last night two friends from camp came over
and we were talking about just this with Jake an I.
An image came to the mind of my friend Michael.
He said it's like when you're trying to get someone
out of a hole and you tie a rope around your waist
to climb on down and bring you both up.
I responded quickly with the obvious analogy
that God is like that rope, and if we go after our
friend's causes, we rely more on Him.
Jesus said He will proceed us and always go with us.
But then later Michael was holding the Bible
and then flipped and landed on this passage;
"Then the king commanded Ebed-Melech the Cushite, '
Take thirty men from here with you and lift Jeremiah the prophet out of the cistern before he dies.'
So Ebed-Melech took the men with him and went to a room under the treasury in the palace.
He took some old rags and worn-out clothes from there
and let them down with ropes to Jeremiah in the cistern.
Ebed-Melech the Cushite said to Jeremiah,
'Put these old rags and worn-out clothes under your arms to pad the ropes.'
Jeremiah did so, and they pulled him up with the ropes and lifted him out of the cistern.
And Jeremiah remained in the courtyard of the guard."
Jeremiah 38:10-13
How is that for encouraging!?
No comments:
Post a Comment