Last summer I sounded like every other woman
in our country ... "I can do anything a man can."
Then, as Jake and I really started to talk about
getting married, I figured I needed to study up.
I realized that, yes, a woman can do almost
anything a man can (where nature permits)
but that doesn't prove anything.
Why try to prove your strong femininity in
the arena of men?
My mind changed.
Now, I'm still aware that there are some
exceptions to the rule where a man may
be more gifted in things we would normally
consider to be womanly, or a woman gifted
more in what we'd consider manly things.
But I don't think many of us are that exception.
When you step back from what society
tells you that you should do, or tells you
how you should feel, what do you want?
I'd venture to say more women have a
nurturing side than they let on to, they
have been hiding what makes them uniquely
woman for their whole life (like I did)
in order to prove their strength and ability
... by trying to be more like men.
Let me say again that I am NOT an expert.
I'm sharing what I have learned about
myself, and observed in our culture.
So if this is where we are, and I believe it is,
our gender roles are greatly confused.
And it got this way so easily because, like I said,
a woman really can do just about anything
a man can. The question is, should she?
And why would she want to?
My clearest understanding, and trust
that this will all work out, came when I
fully understood this verse:
"Wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord ...
Husbands love your wives just as Christ loved the church
and gave his life up for her."
Ephesians 5
Everyone (me) gets so hung-up on
the first part of that verse that they (me)
don't even think about the connotations
of the second part.
Husbands are called to lay down their life
for their wives.
That's right, and God said he doesn't even
listen to the prayers of husbands who don't
sacrificially love their wives (1 Peter 3).
I'd also like to make the point that this
is between wives and husbands,
one wife,
one wife,
one husband.
This verse does NOT say
that all women should listen to all men,
or that men are naturally smarter or
stronger or more able than all women.
No no no no no.
It also does NOT say that a girlfriend
has to submit to her boyfriend.
And it does NOT say that a husband is
the final authority, God is.
Fellow church friends and the police
can also put a husband in his place.
Maybe more women would happily embrace
their strong femininity if more men stepped it
up and took on the roles to love and care for
their wives, like Jesus loved the church.
Now that sounds okay to me.
It may be old-fashioned, but I don't think
that I have to remind anyone about the
current state of marriages and divorces
in our "modern and advanced" country.
I admit that am I always still learning.
But I trust the Bible. I trust that our world
was created with an order, not to hinder us
but to help us flourish.
I'll leave you with this beautiful example of
how I long to let the way I am naturally
made, strong and womanly, to let me be
truly free:
As I sit here in the window of this cottage I can see a sailboat skimming silently along the horizon. It is a beautiful image of freedom. But the freedom of the sailboat to move so swiftly and beautifully is the result of obedience to laws. The builder of the boat had to know the proper ratio of the beam to the keel and mast. The one who sails the boat obeys the rules of sailing. A ship tacking against the wind moves deviously, but when she runs with a strong tide or a following wind she takes to herself the power of tide and wind and they become her own. She is doing the thing she was made for. She is free not by disobeying the rules but by obeying them…
This is the crux of the question of liberty and liberation. Does it mean casting off restrictions? (Could a ship sail without them?) Does it mean doing what we feel like doing and not doing what we don’t? It means discipline. It means doing the thing we were meant for. What is it to which we are called, we women (men) under God?”
-Elisabeth Elliot
You know how much I love water and boats.
taylor,
ReplyDeleteBiblical gender roles is a topic that's dear to my heart. I love that God's laws give us the freedom to operate and glorify Him in the ways we were designed.
Let's get together soon. Hope you are well!
This subject always reminds me of a line from John White's The Fight. (paraphrase to follow) "We often seem to confuse equality with sameness."
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful post, Taylor.
oh i think E. Ryan said it perfectly with that quote. by giving in to what makes us women--what makes us unique and strong, women will succeed in a way that no one will even be able to imagine.
ReplyDeletehow a women lives her life and what she does with has to be her choice, free of society's expectations but because expectations from all spheres are omnipresent, one has to cull through it all (much as you have done) and decide what works for them.
Awesome post Taylor. I agree, many Americans, men and women, cringe when they read the word submission. But what most people don't realize is that its a mutual submission. But why did God word it differently for the different genders? I have no clue. But this is what I do know. Men and women naturally segregate themselves. Whatever the culture, whatever the time period, men and women have lived separate, almost mysterious existences. We need that. Men need a band of brothers and women need the sisterhood of the traveling pants. These divisions are a natural extension of the fact that we're different creatures all together. Chesterton once said that its nonsense to talk about equality of the sexes. That's like saying equality of dogs and cats. Of course there are outliers and exceptions, and examples that prove the rule. But I need my rule. I need my bro time. I need to chop wood and shoot guns and play foose ball. Embracing our differences, especially in marriage, helps us to come closer together. Reading that scripture does not, as a Christian husband, cause me to want to boss my wife around and demand that she do this or that. It does quite the opposite. It challenges me, and forces me to ask, "what have you done for her, jayson."
ReplyDeleteoh thank you thank you thank you for putting that in such a great perspective. I have tried coming up with proper verbage with backup scripture to make the same point.
ReplyDeletei am tired of hearing the wives submit line out of context. that seems to be the only argument people can come up with and then follow it up with, "why would you want a man to tell you what to do?"
you say it beautifully. it is not saying we are unequal and that man is better, it's simply saying that we are wired for this. each of us is showing different attributes of the same God. it's so fantastic. have you read captivating and wild at heart?
:). this is beautiful & exactly what i needed on a night like tonight. you're beautiful.
ReplyDelete