Because it's just amazing sometimes how we humans interpret what people are saying and doing.
Because I am one of those people who has very rigid standards and expectations.
It's constantly a practice for me to extend grace to those who don't "reach" my standards or operate as I would have them.
But mostly, because the person I have the hardest time forgiving is me.
Sometimes, on a late night train, when you're standing for 30 minutes, supporting a 50-pound bag on your back while that stranger occupies a seat with his grocery bag ... a husband uses gentle and encouraging words to inspire the wife to keep working hard and all the wife can hear is "I'm disappointed in you."
Sometimes it doesn't matter what people are actually telling me, all I can hear is "You could have done better. I'm disappointed."
And that gets very frustrating for my loved ones.
It is, in fact, a breach of communication. Sacred communication.
So I've found that sometimes it's our own demons that hijack the voices of our loved ones--our teammates--and make marriage hard.
In those cases, when Jake and I are just not understanding each other, we huff around the studio sighing "marriage is soooo hard."
And then we smile, because we've come to the truth together and we recognize we're both trying so very hard.
Lord, keep the demons at bay, so that we may clearly see and hear our love's sweetness.
No comments:
Post a Comment