During a prayer the other night, a vivid image came to me from the vantage point of a mountain cabin’s porch.
Before me were tall shoots of evergreens, dense as a wall.
Up my spine and into my heart went shivers of home and peace, familiar with this kind of scene.
I wasn’t sure how this was supposed to affect my prayer, so I just thanked God that our souls find rest in Him. God is Home because before I ever chose Him, He extended to me the greatest hospitality known to mankind.
This hospitality thing has been tugging on my heart since August.
Now recently, Jake and I began meeting regularly with good friends who are also newly married. We parted with the exhortation to seek God’s will for us as a unit. How may we, as a married unit, serve Christ and people? How might God already be using us?
The first thing that came to my mind was hospitality.
I really love to have people over, to welcome them with food and a couch.
And if you ever knew Jake …
well, you’d know how he has a way of listening to people and making anyone feel at home anywhere.
well, you’d know how he has a way of listening to people and making anyone feel at home anywhere.
So I just have the slightest idea that maybe, possibly in the big picture, God’s calling for us it to offer hospitality.
To offer a safe place.
But I want to pray about it more and not jump to my own conclusions.
So when my coworkers and I all took a retreat on Monday, I brought this to God right away.
Again, an image of mountains and trees before my eyes.
But this time I realized how funny it is that we will probably never move to the mountains. Mountains have been a theme in my prayer life for years, but they are just too far away from family and we simply haven’t been called there.
So how funny is it that while I may never settle in the landscape where I have a physical sense of home, I do so enjoy helping others feel at home.
I write about home a lot.
Is it because I moved across the country at 9?
Or moved away for good at 18?
Who knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment