Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I urge you, brothers and sisters, to know why.

Sweet Luisa came over the other night.
Jake has band practice once a week and I'm desperate for friends to keep me company on those late nights.
We made quesadillas, watched a movie and talked a lot. (You gotta love a girl who has something so pressing to say about the last scene that she pauses the movie.)
We got to talking about tattoos ... naturally. And Luisa wants one.

Luisa's Mother says: I don't get it. The Bible says tattoos are wrong.
Luisa: The Bible also says to sacrifice goats. Do you sacrifice goats?
Luisa's Mother: Well ... no.
Luisa: Okay, you give me a call when you start sacrificing goats and I'll get my tattoo removed!

I might also add this funny conversation my friend Lauren told me that she had ...

Lauren's Mother: The Bible says our bodies are temples and we are to take care of them!
Lauren: You decorate the temple, don't you? So I'm decorating my body.

Lauren does have a tattoo.


* First of all, God bless our mothers! God bless our fathers, our sisters, our brothers, anyone who keeps us accountable to the Word of God. People need accountability.

* But second, and this is the point of the darn whole post right here,
It is incredibly important that you know why you believe what you believe. And why it affects your choices. While it's true many parts of the Bible are culturally bound and no longer applicable to our lives--it is a dangerous thing to joke about it's Law. It is a dangerous thing to undermine its divinity and its credibility.


I am not singling out Lauren and Luisa. I used their stories because they are hilarious, and they both love me so I know they will forgive me for sharing them. (Plus, everyone needs a little religious humor now and then.)

We all make these jokes, I am not without fault.
But I have a question ... do you know why is it that we disregard Biblical teaching about ceremonial cleansing and we follow its teaching about purity and honesty?

Absolutely anyone who hopes to lead a Biblical life participates in scriptural interpretation, whether they know it or not. So for your sake, for the community's sake, take your interpretation seriously. Please. Consider why some rules no longer apply and why some do. I began this journey last year and I'll continue it my whole life. It's fascinating knowledge and it will season your faith and your witness.

If you're interested in more about interpreting the Bible, I highly highly highly recommend the book How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth.

PS: I don't like telling people what to do. But I really believe in this. And I am kind of controlling and bossy with the ones I love. I'm doing this because I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment