Sunday, December 5, 2010

An Advent for Kelsey
Beginning the second Sunday of Advent

Meet my friend Kelsey. What I love about our friendship is that we get right down to the core of things. Kelsey and I talk faith. I love to hear about her thoughts and experiences. When Jake and I were in Michigan for Thanksgiving, we went to church with her, and her man Nick. (So sorry I'm not photogenic, Kels). Their church would not be categorized as worshiping in a liturgical style--but I have noticed their observance of some liturgical seasons. It's really beautiful. Clearly I don't think we are mandated to worship in one way or another, but celebrating the church calendar and daily liturgy adds a richness to my faith that I wish more friends could experience. It's cool to see how different churches incorporate liturgy in their own way.

Moving right along ... last Sunday Kelsey's pastor gave a beautiful talk about seasons being the rhythm God designed to bring music into our life. I whispered that Advent is my all-time favorite season and Kelsey asked why.

1. The most basic reason is because celebrating the birth of Jesus means so much more to me when I take a whole month to anticipate it. When I look at the need for a Saviour in our world. A whole month of longing ends in the bright coming of a King!

2. Also, Advent is a breath of fresh, spiritual air when folks are burdened by the unnatural, commercial stretching of Christmas.


It got me thinking. People love to count down to things. Religious or not. And for anyone who celebrates Christmas, isn't most of the excitement in the counting down of days?

When Jake and I read the Bible together, we use this book. It teaches us how to incorporate the church calendar and seasons of liturgy into our daily life. I'm incredibly thankful for the daily meditations and thoughts the books lends. So I'd like to just share one with you right now, from page 54:

Week Two of Advent, beginning the Sunday between December 4 and 10
We lament the sin and suffering in the world. We repent of any part we play in it. And then we exercise hope. 
Romans 8:22-25
We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. "


It is evident that the season is upon us. Happy Advent!


4 comments:

  1. ME TOO! I love Advent, for just the same reasons you listed. It gives me a chance to get my priorities and my perspective straight during a time that would otherwise be harried. Christmas won't creep up on me this year, and I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that book looks like a great idea to use! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, you're darling and your blog header is to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised in a Christian non-denominational church that calls itself a community instead of church. I celebrate a lot of Catholic traditions with Protestant worked in. So i have gone through the advent season and easter and all of the rest basically my whole life.

    ReplyDelete