Thursday, November 12, 2009

To whom much is given ... much is required, Jesus said.

"From everyone who has been given much,
much will be demanded;
and from the one who has been entrusted with much,
much more will be asked."

Do not worry, Jesus said.

"Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom
or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are
than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"


Luke 12 has been singing the song I needed to hear!
First of all, how about that kicker in the second passage?
That line I love to read, that thing the Bible says all the time,
'yet God.'
The story so often goes about people trying to follow God,
usually getting very confused, 'yet God' still does something amazing.
I am trying to take the message "do not worry" to heart.

And the challenge, the statement, the truth
that to whom much is given, much is required.

I heard this the other night on This American Life,
as Jake and I were unpacking.
Then I came upon it in the Bible this morning.
Coincidence? I think not.

I don't know much about marriage right now.
But I am certain that a marriage and a husband
are both the most honored gifts and the most
honored trusts that God gives.
He has handed me these things, though I've
done nothing to deserve them. And He has
asked me to hold them so firmly that they
don't fall from my hand, yet so gently that I
don't break them.

These are the thoughts that came to me this
morning as I was praying in the bathroom.
Our bathroom has become a downright chapel
where Jake and I go when we need space and
quietness.
I really like marriage so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment