Out of the perfect storm of an increasingly disappointing column in our paper, my own expectations which said column does not live up to, my belief that a whole lot more could be done with that column, and a great conversation with my co-worker and friend--the question of time and purpose for questions.
I value tradition, I value the collected knowledge of centuries before us, I value questioning what you're handed and making it relevant to your life, I value what people believe and I want to hear it. I want to know what they really, truly, down in their gut, believe. I'm so tired of post-modern, self-created, empty religion. I'm not sure we have much faith in our world left--and my friend asks me if people can't just "be" if they can't find their purpose in the question.
I'm really not sure. As a person with so many questions, so much need to verify what I'm told, I still think questions are places of transition, not of settling. There is solid truth and my heart breaks for the people who settle for less. But she tells them to grant their beliefs, and I want to, but I want for them something deeper than constant questioning.
I value tradition, I value the collected knowledge of centuries before us, I value questioning what you're handed and making it relevant to your life, I value what people believe and I want to hear it. I want to know what they really, truly, down in their gut, believe. I'm so tired of post-modern, self-created, empty religion. I'm not sure we have much faith in our world left--and my friend asks me if people can't just "be" if they can't find their purpose in the question.
I'm really not sure. As a person with so many questions, so much need to verify what I'm told, I still think questions are places of transition, not of settling. There is solid truth and my heart breaks for the people who settle for less. But she tells them to grant their beliefs, and I want to, but I want for them something deeper than constant questioning.
No comments:
Post a Comment