This was New Year's Eve! All of the other gringos (white folk) came out of hiding on Day 4. The streets were buzzing, tents were going up, and we did little but walk around for 10 hours.
Actually, before getting to el centro we made a quick visit to the college where some of our friends studied abroad. (Holler to Dave and Erin!)
"This is a place of prayer, God listens to you, you should listen to Him, too."
This is truly my favorite kind of prayer. The kind where I don't say a thing.
(Side note: I really wonder how these old churches put electricity in their walls!)

Our participation in the "Where is Vincent" photo project. St. Vincent DePaul, the namesake for Jake's school and work, was all about social justice and so we thought this was the perfect place to take Vince's portrait.






We stumbled upon a cafe named Toulouse Lautrec. Named after the same artist as Jake's band! Obviously we had to buy something and support the cause.
And we're back to where I started us, the night service for New Year's Eve at church. It was mythical, so many people and so many candles!
Thanks for following the recap of our honeymoon journey. I write this as much for myself as for you. I hope to share some of the magic with you. I want to remember vividly for myself the heat, the light, the colors, the stimulation to my ears and fingertips.
I do believe that too many pictures are a crutch to the memory.
May the words here help to root what we experienced deep into our beings and spur potent memories when they are read again in a few years.
"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love becomes a part of us." - Helen Keller -
looooved reading all about your trip!! Thanks for sharing!!!
ReplyDelete