because it's been a long time coming.
I now realize that I can trace the start
of everything back to a short, one-day,
bright, fall conference when God
spoke to me deeply about this verse:
___________________________________
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power,
together with all the Lord's people,
to grasp how wide and how long and high and deep
is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses all knowledge--
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fulness of God."
Ephesians 3:18-19
___________________________________
Then, when Jake and I visited our
friends' church, the church announced
that they'd be rooting their selves in
the book of Ephesians all year. I wasn't
convinced that I had to keep coming
back to that church, but something in me
For a while now I've been very intrigued
friends' church, the church announced
that they'd be rooting their selves in
the book of Ephesians all year. I wasn't
convinced that I had to keep coming
back to that church, but something in me
woke up.
___________________________________
___________________________________
And just two weeks ago, I got an email
from a friend who said this was his prayer
for our semester:
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power,
together with all the Lord's people,
to grasp how wide and how long and high and deep
is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses all knowledge--
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fulness of God."
Ephesians 3:18-19
___________________________________
For a while now I've been very intrigued
by the practice of lectio divina. It is an art
of reading the Bible, not to study, but to know,
to hold in our hearts. This sound especially
refreshing and life-giving, in contrast to the
scholarly reading and studying I've been doing.
Also, recently I've been approaching the
thought in my mind of maybe, possibly
trying to kill this obsessive compulsive
thing--maybe 2010 is the year to kick it.
scary to admit.
___________________________________
At first I didn't even notice it. I've been
reading through the gospel of Mark and
I prayed before reading last Tuesday that
God would really bring me a lesson.
"Help me to see what you have to say," I asked.
I read right on by this verse and onward, and
then I realized that that was it. God surely
brought me this verse:
"Jesus said, 'You have a fine way of
setting aside the commands of God
in order to observe your own traditions.'"
Mark 7:9
This speaks very clearly to me about me
succumbing to compulsions, because they
really do come between me and God.
___________________________________
At that point in reading Mark, I knew I
should stop to meditate on that verse,
but first I pulled out this awesome book
to see what it had to say about lectio divina.
And you'll never guess what it said (or maybe
you will.) The author writes that lectio divina
is a way to read the Bible deeply so that we
know, not in our mind, but in our heart, God.
She said is it like understanding the wind by
feeling a breeze on our cheeks. She said it is
the sort of knowing and understanding the
Bible talks about when it says:
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power,
together with all the Lord's people,
to grasp how wide and how long and high and deep
is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses all knowledge--
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fulness of God."
Ephesians 3:18-19
___________________________________
Time after time He speaks,
God's character stays intact,
how can the world call these
"coincidences"?
These sort of cyclical incidences
always flagpost my journey. They
help me to know that I am following.
I may not be on a set path, but I
am getting closer to Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment