Tuesday, November 2, 2010

So it was Halloween.
Can you tell who we were?


Ah, such a last-minute project (Jake is wearing our curtain) but worth it. We always say "next year we are going to plan ahead of time." And somehow it just doesn't happen. Anyway, if you still can't tell, we were the Flintstones.

Now that Halloween has passed, and it was a great one, and we are into November, I really can't wait for Advent!

I did not grow up celebrating Advent. Christmas was a one day deal. And anything before December 25 was purely commercial infiltration. This will be my fourth real Advent season, and it really is my favorite. I was so excited when I realized Advent is only a few weeks away.

In advent, we are offered the chance to look at our world and mourn its brokenness. We long for a Saviour. And of course we can be certain we have one, but we appreciate Him so much more on that Christmas morn when we've reflected on our brokenness for a good long while.

I'll stop there, because it's not time just yet. We've still got All Souls Day, Thanksgiving, and Christ the King Sunday.
But on the chance you begin to see those Christmas decorations, let your heart celebrate our Savior in light of the fact that we need Him so much. Whenever you come across all of the truly lovely, reflective, glittery, festive parts of the season, think on this:
"We might even suggest, as a part of a Christian aesthetic, that the world is beautiful not just because it hauntingly reminds us of its creator but also because it is pointing forward: it is designed to be filled, flooded, drenched in God." N.T. Wright

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I so agree about Christmas being all the more meaningful when you've reflected on just how much we need a savior. I love the context that Advent brings.

    ReplyDelete