Sunday, March 27, 2011

      Mourning the murder of Jesus, and celebrating His resurrection should take more than 3 days. At least I think so. That's why I observe lent. Either by taking on a new spiritual discipline, or deciding to fast from something, the hope is that each day leans a little stronger in the direction of anticipation.


That's what I've learned in liturgy; anticipation. In all things, at all times.
Contentment for now, and anticipation in the bigger picture.


      My Lenten devotional reading today was that horrible story from Genesis 39.
      

      I really don't like this story because I despise blackmail and lying. I despise evil tainting what is good. While lamenting this story, it was revealed to me that this is the story of man. This is the story of the garden of Eden and this story continues today!


      In the beginning, God created people and gave them dominion over the earth to care for it and make culture. God gave them everything they needed and more. Yet, evil still found a way to dangle in front of their eyes the one thing people couldn't have (for God decided it was not good.) And that is what happened to Joseph. His master entrusted everything to him, yet evil still found a way to tempt him.


      In the present, God's people have grace and forgiveness (everything we need) and we have spiritual authority. Our master has entrusted much to us. Yet, evil still finds a way to dangle before us the things God has decided are not good for us. Often, we say yes to those things and hurt ourselves.


      It sounds crazy in this light, in light of history and seeing all we've been given. 
Why in the world would we say yes to what evil tries to offer us, when the Creator of Good has already given us everything we need?! We are bizarre. I am bizarre.


      In this day, I am realizing much of life is heavy on what we say "yes" to, and to what we say "no." I am seeing a theme of authority in all of this; God's authority, our authority, and evil's fake authority. Evil is what tries to convince us that what God has entrusted to us is not enough; it offers us the exact opposite of what we need.


      Jake and I are fasting from music this lent. Music is good, God loves music, but Jake and I often use it to distract ourselves and fill space. This lent, we are saying "no" to distraction and mindlessness, and "yes" to prayerful attention to how the Spirit is moving.


( PS: If I were listening to music these days, it would be this: http://www.myspace.com/allthebrightlightsmusic )

1 comment: