Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Being white. 1

Oh, who likes that word? Not me. But for the sake of clarity, I am going to use it. I am white.

This means, as a grade schooler, my other white friends and I would ask and tell each other over and over again "what we were." Irish, Dutch, Native American, French ... I'm your typical caucasian mutt. And more. Being white means my culture is time-oriented, systematic, not afraid of authority, usually trusting of authority, and highly favored.

It's hard to distinguish these things coming from the majority and favored culture. It's difficult to narrow down what exactly my culture is. And while everyone's culture probably depends more on their own nuclear family, I love to hear more about the general distinctions and gifts of different cultures.

At the spring break trip that changed everything, I heard about the cultures of my brothers and sisters who are not white. Some shared that they are more people or event-oriented, and loyal. Some said they are ultra respectful of authority. And it's common for many of their cultures to distrust authority. It was good for me to hear from my friends, and to celebrate the gifts that their cultures bring to society and the church.

I also learned among giggles that camping and coffee shops are mostly white things.
This is the local place Jake and I frequent. The Common Cup:
Photobucket

Overall, I left wondering more about the impact my culture has on my church and neighborhood. And what to do with this new knowledge.

When I, as a single white woman moved into Rogers Park (I moved here before I was married) my neighbors noticed. And so did the local realtors. The color of my skin told these people that a privileged* woman feels safe walking around this neighborhood. Which might mean others like me would feel safe living here, too. My simple presence here influences rent prices and local business markets. (Am I more likely to support Whole Foods or my local grocery?) This is fact, because I am white, no matter what, no matter where I go. The only way to protect my neighborhood's diversity is to support those who are already here ... and that's where part two will pick up.

Can you distinguish your culture's unique traits?
What kind of an impact do you think your presence has in your town?
Where does your money go? 


Photobucket

      This is a complex subject that I know very little about, but I'm hoping to learn by speaking with others about it. What time would be wasted if I waited to be an expert before taking action? For more information about just gentrification, I've been suggested this resource: Gentrification with Justice by Bob Lupton. Would you look into this with me?

* I don't have a lot of money. But I have access, education, and favor among authorities. This makes me privileged. You only have to make 50k/year to be among the elite in the U.S. I will continue to refer to myself as privileged as a pure reminder to myself.

4 comments:

  1. Someone wrote something VERY interesting and inspiring on Shunda's proxe station this Monday. "Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe should be for sale." (speaking of where we choose to spend our money)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walmart buyers said the same thing in Food Inc and I was so glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the coffee shop thing (again), I'm in one right now.

    My tumblr account is here: http://morethanexist.tumblr.com/
    I'll admit that I'm sort of spastic at posting, but I like what I have from when I do post things (full disclose once again, some things are reblogs of Doctor Who).

    ReplyDelete
  4. the next step in my healthy eating adventure is to figure out how i can buy locally. it's the best thing for the environment. and the best thing for the economy.

    i buy expensive foods. foods that are not in high demand. organic and interesting. agave, coconut oil, flax seeds, chia seeds, alaskan salmon...

    and while i don't really have the money for such expensive eating habits i figure it's my moral imperative. because if others like me work to create a market than the prices will fall and healthier foods will become more accessible. so yes, some days i pay 2.50 for a farm-grown local tomato. because while it's a dent in my wallet i know i'm doing something good. i'm "voting" for good food.

    does that make sense?

    i'm so glad you've written about this.

    hoping you're well.

    and to respond to a long ago email that i never forgot about: i don't know why flax seeds are so good for you...but i'm gonna find out.

    ReplyDelete