I have a small apartment,
I take public transportation,
I eat my fruits and veggies,
my uniform is jeans and a v-neck,
I read books,
I work hard,
I save my money,
I have a husband and someday hope to have kids.
These ordinary things,
are extraordinary to me.
This is what liturgy has taught me:
an ordinary slice of bread, an ordinary cup of cheap wine, can become a sacrament of divine celebration and mourning all at once.
The Jews hung an ordinary curtain to symbolize God's presence and Jesus tore through it. Just ordinary cloth.
Our apartment is a home, filled with love and sunshine.
I get a glimpse of my neighbors' souls when we ride trains and buses together.
Fresh produce replenishes my skin and bones, my entryway to the tangible world.
Someone far away made my clothes, we are connected, and for that I wear them reverently.
Comprehending the written language connects me to history and the yet to be.
My job forces me to interact with people daily, something I might otherwise struggle with.
Money can be used for awesome things, like funding schools and building sanctuaries.
Marriage affords me the incredible journey to selflessness, and an opportunity to be sanctified every day.
Good grief sometimes I can't take it!
"We might even suggest, as a part of a Christian aesthetic, that the world is beautiful not just because it hauntingly reminds us of its creator but also because it is pointing forward: it is designed to be filled, flooded, drenched in God." NTWright

this is beautiful! i am thankful that i live an ordinary life as well. there is beauty in all of the small things :)
ReplyDeleteyou're such an inspiration--the way you look at life, divine.
ReplyDelete