Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Here's the last thing about me being white.
I am angry about it.
I'm angry that wherever I move, I'm bringing more white people with me.
I'm angry that I have many more opportunities and resources than my neighbors.
I'm angry that I thoroughly enjoy my privilege.
I get so angry on those days when I see children who can only walk to the convenience store on the corner to eat a bag of cheetos for dinner. So angry when I hear of children being harassed on their way to and from school. They didn't ask for that. And I didn't ask for better.
On those days, I pray from the angriest part of my heart,
Jesus please come back now and just save us all. I'm done watching this horror.

But what amazes me,
is that each day we wake, God is telling us that we're not done yet.  Each day we wake up, God is ready to do more work to renew His creation, and His plan is to use people to do it.



This song and these lyrics put me in my place.

What good would I be doing to reject my privilege? At least in the sense of the influence I can have in local politics. If my ethnicity is favored and authorities listen to me ... and if I have no fear when talking to authorities ... then I need to use these gifts to speak on behalf of others. Because some of my neighbors don't trust the law, and some of them wouldn't be given the time of day. I dare not throw away such a valuable gift that could bless others.

This was the most inspiring and question-producing lesson I learned at CUP.
I have no idea how to advocate for my neighbors needs. But I have to learn.
God made all people in His image, all people have dignity. It is horribly wrong when local authorities do not grant some people equal dignity. In order to truly reflect God, we all need each other to be included in the picture.

We all need each other. That's the brilliance in it!
I was talking with a friend of mine about her moving into a black and how she feared she wouldn't be able to advocate because she herself is black. But we both realized that her ethnicity and cross-cultural friendships are necessary to build trust between neighbors of different cultures. We all need each other. That's why it doesn't do anyone any good if I despise my ethnicity and privilege.

No more white people pretending they aren't white, I say.
Thank God for what He's given you and honor Him by enjoying it.
Own up and lend your gifts to the community.
And be willing to receive.

2 comments:

  1. hey taylor :) Your coffee arrived last week! I blogged about it too :) Yours is on the way! :)

    ReplyDelete