It was magical.
On our way to the beach this week, I was mourning a little. Mourning the loss of some excitement and passion to pursue "greater things" in our neighborhood. I haven't done anything to seek justice among my neighbors in a while. We're trying to build a more permanent life here, but it's been a bumpy road.
Just before arriving at the beach, I looked up into the second story window of a familiar building. This window has a jungle of orchids facing out year-round. They look like little grannies to me, all bunched close, peeping down at the sidewalk. I imagine them gossiping about everything they witness.
And then I saw this:

right in front of that building.
It made me happy to think someone else is proud of our neighborhood.
We had a delightful dip, and started walking home.
THEN, I saw a man with glasses watering the garden in front of that building where the orchids live. He smiled enough to beckon a wave, so Jake and I waved at him.
"How are you doing," he asked, as if we were old friends.
And the conversation went from there, so natural and sweet. He was so friendly! We learned that he grows the orchids for fancy hotels and condos downtown. And when they are done with the flowers, he brings them home. We learned that he's lived in that building since the 90s. I can't imagine what it must be like to have seen all the change in Rogers Park in that time.
We were joking about going swimming, "Humans need to be watered too," I said, and he laughed.
Then, we thought he was inviting us up into his place to see the flowers. But he took off running and came back down with three orchids for us! To keep.
I can't put words to how wonderful it is to meet your neighbors.
The gifted orchids are really symbolic to me, because I was just starting to feel like a bad plant-mother for nearly killing our palm tree. And I was feeling bad about not living the life of bringing God's Kingdom to our neighborhood 24/7.
Maybe God has more hope in me than I do. That would be spectacular.
wow girl. i can so relate with you about our neighborhood and having passion for it/within it!! what a sweet story of encouragement :)
ReplyDeletelet's get together soooooon!
This is a beautiful thing Taylor. Thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteYay! You didn't kill the palm tree! Be careful with the orchids though, I've heard they're finniky. I'd do a lot of Google-ing if I were you, but I have no doubt you haven't already. :P
ReplyDelete