Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On Becoming My Father ...

It's happening, and if I'm honest, it probably began at birth. I'm becoming my dad. And I can't complain. Jake catches me acting dad-like all the time.  And on a recent visit with my dad's sister she mentioned it a few times. The signs are:

Socially: Saying hello to people I pass. Asking everyone how their day is doing (grocery bagger, banker, etc.) Asking people lots of questions about their life experiences.
Physically: Running up the stairs, skipping steps just for fun and efficiency. Strong work ethic. Strong coffee drinking. Opening my eyes big for expression. Genetically identical profile.
Emotionally: Keeping true thoughts and feelings private.
Mentally/Compulsively: Noticing when a cup is too close to the edge of the table, general paranoia, noticing unexpected patterns, general obsession over efficiency, perfection and prevention.

Growing up in my dad's house I don't think I noticed how similar we are. I just thought we got along well. Dad and I travelled together a lot, usually to San Francisco to visit our friends. When I was little, dad loved to brush and braid me and my sisters' hair. He took me on a photography trip and let me drive when I needed to rack in some hours for driver's ed. Actually we did a lot of photography together. My mom has always said that she saw their divorce inspire my dad to be around more, and he's said similar things. Clearly I wish it didn't have to start that way, but I'm so thankful for the relationship my dad and I have now. The daddy/daughter bond is really special.



I adore this photo of Jake and my dad. 
It means so much to me that they love each other.




I look like him, think like him, work like him. And that's fine by me.

1 comment:

  1. gave me goosebumps all over! so sweet. the importance of a good man is so vast. loooove that photo too!

    ReplyDelete