Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Be careful with each other

This is an open letter to the world; and to all of my dear friends in their many relationships, romantic, business even, and friendships; this is also a letter to myself,

Please. Take care of each other.
Be careful with those you know, with the souls you love.
The truth is, those with whom you are closest are the ones you have the strongest ability to hurt.

In the shower last night, with my palm to my brow, amid shampoo and squinted eyes, that thought rattled through my body. I wish it weren't true. Nature should not allow us to do this to each other. But it makes sense, because the best things are the things most at stake.

For example, with Jake and I, it comes down to communication. Because it's what we do best. More often than not, we deeply understand each other, we know each other's inner-workings. If we communicate something in a way that does not reflect good character, that's where it happens. That's where, even when we understand why one of us said something, we are upset with the way they said it. Because we know we can do better, individually and in unity.
(I'm trying to be candid because I am still sorting these thoughts and because everyone says marriage is hard but they are so vague about it.)

This also means that those closest to you have the most pointed ability to hurt you. In close range, a fumble can be fatal.
Of course, there is forgiveness and grace and love and the fact that you want things to turn out fine. But sometimes you won't respond so well.
You will always have those selfish flares because you are human and you make defenses.

Just please, please don't let those defenses confine you or make you proud. Please, give your emotions their worth, listen to yourself and then go take care of things.

I cherish so many of those people out in the world and I really want them to not hurt. I want all of the people who have sat next to me and shared their lives and their stories to be loved intimately.
You, my friends, are close to people.
You have the surpassing ability to take care of them.
Isn't that wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment