Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I seriously want to know

... why do we pray?

Are we really changing God's mind, or would He
have always done the same thing anyway?

There are specific stories in the Bible, our history,
where it looks like we can really change God's
mind--like those conversations between
Abraham and God, and definitely in all of those
miracles Jesus did in response to a person's request.

But should we really ask God to do something
that he might not have otherwise done?
The only thing I understand is that God wants us
to participate and be involved in His work. For
that reason, I am sure He finds joy when we choose
to pray, because we're engaging Him.
I just don't know about all of this.

I believe prayer changes things, it does matter.
Prayer mostly changes us.

3 comments:

  1. Taylor, you write too many posts for me to keep up with. I like it.

    I feel really bad about not having an answer for your question. Personally, I rarely pray. when I do, it's because I want to feel some sort of tangible connection to something or someone. I always thought prayer was really more for the human side of religion. (I feel) that it can't be that God NEEDS our prayers, but rather wants us to be praying for ourselves, and mostly one another?

    (also I worked at a small salon and thank you for your words of encouragement)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://vimeo.com/8467883
    This is such a hard question to answer, but what I believe is that there are things that God wants to do but won't unless we ask Him. Things that are good for us and other people but because He has given us the chance to participate in His work through prayer, He won't just do without us.
    It's kind of like love, and like salvation. He loves us, and wants to save us, but it takes our conscious choice to accept Him into our hearts and to LET Him save us.

    I know it's complicated and not black and white, but we have free will and I think prayer has something to do with that. He wants to know we care too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this question ever since you asked it!
    In my quiet times this week I've been reading about prayer, and I came across this passage that jumps around a bit, but ultimately addresses the question of WHY from a perspective that made me think.

    "The answer is: because GOD is greater than my mind and my heart, and what is really happening in the house of prayer is not measurable in terms of human success and failure...The question as to whether it is helpful, useful, practical, or fruitful is completely irrelevant, since the only reason to love is love itself. Everything else is secondary."
    Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Road to Daybreak

    I don't think I'd ever considered prayer being an act of love before, but as I sit and think about it, prayer is a way that we humans are allowed to profess our love for God and hand over issues, situations and troubles with a humble heart that says "LORD, YOU know best, and I am thankful."
    I need this heart.

    ReplyDelete