Tuesday, July 27, 2010

As summer continues on its merciless plunder of hours, all the while seeming to attract my friends' angry fists to the skies for heat's sake, a few tasks have delivered themselves to the top of my priorities.

One of those tasks was walking with my friends to a 7-11, and taking the responsibility to convince them that as vengeful as their hearts are to the heat, winter would not in reality be as sweet as it sounds. I enjoy too much the ability to walk outside barefoot with nary a layer. We collectively proceeded to indulge in slurpee samples and final purchases:

Another activity was an appropriately long Saturday morning at the coffee shop with Ashley. I left inspired to make homemade frappés, which Jake and I sipped while dancing to Iron & Wine.

An unseasonable priority was preparing my hands-down, breath-takingly favorite macaroni and cheese over a hot stove, purely because I'd craved it for weeks. Do yourself the favor: Melt 3 tablespoons of butter, whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour, whisk in 1 cup of milk and 0.5 cups of alfredo sauce, add 3 cups of shredded cheddar on top of it all and allow to melt, whisk in 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon of nutmeg, combine sauce with 1 pound cooked whole grain noodles. Savor.


Other ways to handle the heat have included a jaunt to the air-conditioned movie theater for cheap matinees, OR exchanging songs with international students during a brilliant lightning storm, OR spending six hours in bed (where I may or may not have eaten said macaroni and cheese) just reading The Virgin Suicides in front of our box fan.

And now, a photo of my darling by which to remember this season in our life:


No comments:

Post a Comment