NYC - Day 3
A fabulous day it was! Something about this vacation made time move through us so quickly, and yet so fully! I could say this for nearly every day, so I'll only say it once; we did so much, saw so much and ate so much on this day!
The morning began early with a trip to a Brooklyn farmers market near our hotel. Sorry, no pictures. But we continued on to this crafty Lower East Side Manhattan market.
After spending some time browsing, we crossed the street to Jake's cousins' apartment for brunch. I had never met his cousins before but they were so welcoming and lively, I felt instantly at home. Here's a picture of Jake with his aunt, who I did already know ... and following is a picture of our lovely little Lyla, the smartest, most graceful and most dramatic three-year-old you've ever met. I was smitten!
After brunch, Jake and I made our way to Times Square to sign up for a city-wide art project/scavenger hunt called "Key to the City." We didn't directly pursue the project sites, but we thought about it each time we were in a neighborhood near one.
We spent the afternoon galavanting across Brooklyn and landed at a restaurant near (in?) Dumbo, called Superfine. ... Our experience was a little closer to Supermediocre. The food wasn't so bad, but the service was. I'm hoping our waiter was just having a rough night. The place was ornamented well, though, and the bus boy did an excellent job. It was here that Jake and I began what will most assuredly be a very long and prayerful conversation about the future.
I was quite keen on this little nook of Brooklyn, with its hip industrial architecture. Some streets strongly reminded me of San Francisco. We wandered for a while, slowly winding down our evening. I recall that it already felt like we had been in the city for years and home felt so far away. The breathing room was immeasurably good!
No comments:
Post a Comment