I got my first look at how older folks view (and grapple with) my generation in January. I was at work event when they screened a news feature on "Millennials" for all of us young staff. Maybe I (admittedly) live under a rock, but I think that was the first time I'd heard the term millenials.
Then I found this article which continued on the same theme, from the perspective of a psychologist and mother. It's so true that it's funny. And also so sad. These stories really hit home for me. I had such an interesting conversation with my mom last summer about this very subject. Because it was radically affecting our relationship.
I work with young people, and am still a young person myself. I am married to a dashing young person. And many (though not most) of my closest friends are young people. So the sad part is when I witness first hand the unprecedented emptiness in this generation. It's sad because it seems like the lots have been cast, we've been raised and we are who we'll be. I mean, there's no changing your upbringing at this point.
I'm of the persuasion that, usually, something can be done. So what can be done on this one?
Or, what can we do to change society and the way we are raising new generations?
I've thought about this a lot. Well, reletively. It always annoys me whenever a peer of mine calls on their parents to help them or wines over an insignificant thing. My parents raised me right, when shit goes down I can handle it. Or at least I try to handle it as long as I possibly can before I ask for help.
ReplyDeleteThis is actually one of the reasons I'm a little scared to have kids. I don't want to be a helicopter parent, but can you be a parent now without being one?